Do you have a passion for forestry and the environment? Do you want to make an impact on sustainability by ensuring businesses meet the right standards and address environmental deficiencies? If so, then you might be the match for our role as Forestry Specialist with a forestry background based in Latvia.
What you can expect:
As a Forestry Specialist you will assess and verify the sustainability and legality of forest management practices of our clients. For this your professionalism and focus on quality will be central in managing our client portfolio in Latvia. As soon as you start your new job, you'll be managing certification for clients and learning how to audit sustainability standards with the distinct Preferred by Nature quality. You'll be auditing against our approved forestry standards and after a few months, you'll be supporting to grow and improve these services.
Working with us is never routine so the first year you can expect the following areas to be central to your work.
- Help strengthen Preferred by Nature’s brand by helping us manage our portfolio of certified clients in Latvia and ensure the audit processes are completed on time and with quality.
- Building and maintaining professional relationships with clients by diligently planning audits and ensuring that high-quality reports are submitted on time.
- Provide customer service to current and potential clients of Preferred by Nature in Latvia, but not limited to, providing information about certification, technical guidance on the interpretation of certification standards, and the certification process and trademark use.
- Gain valuable insights in forestry by using your ability to communicate with people at all levels of our client’s organization and with people with a diverse set of occupational and educational backgrounds.
- Grow your own network and Preferred by Nature’s client base by serving as a primary point of contact to support potential, new, and existing clients with their sustainable certifications.
Your first year with us:
Within three months, you will:
- If you don't have certification experience, we will provide the necessary training related to FSC Standards (Forest Stewardship Council) and give you the skills needed to audit these in accordance with our high-quality standards.
- Grow your auditing skills by learning from the best auditors in the region by participating as an observer in a handful of audit processes.
- Understand and appreciate the relevance of our systems and digital tools, which are fundamental to running an efficient auditing business.
- Begin your training in managing supply chain and forest management to understand key elements in this field
Within six months, you will:
- Take steps towards working independently as an auditor by completing 3-5 audits as a trainee auditor along with writing, reviewing and finalizing certification reports.
- Build relationship with important stakeholders by serving as the representative of Preferred by Nature towards government, industry, and NGOs in the region.
- Efficiently manage time to prioritize tasks and effectively use Salesforce to optimize workflows and data management.
Within one year, you will:
- Have achieved the skill level similar to that of the best auditors in the business completing between thirty to fifty audits as a trained auditor.
- Have evolved into task manager and serve as one for assigned jobs acting as quality control for reports prior to final submission.
- Be seen as a true ambassador of Preferred by Nature displaying good knowledge of new services like our Ecosystem Restoration Services and the Sustainability Framework
- Continue developing expertise by working with new programs and departments within Preferred by Nature.
Important that you:
• To receive full proficiency and a certificate in the required auditing methods you need to have a relevant education similar to that of a bachelor's degree and 1-2 years of experience in a timber-related industry.
• High school certificate or similar AND 3-4 years of work experience in a timber-related industry.
• Willingness and ability to travel up to 50% of the time
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in Latvian and English
Would also be great, but not necessary, if you:
• Have knowledge of the Preferred by Nature and/or FSC certification protocols
• Sales experience
• Have experience to effectively market products or services or at least be good at spotting opportunities with clients and in the market in general
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
What Sets Us Apart:
• Global work culture
• High degree of flexibility - remote work and work from office in Riga.
• An in-depth onboarding and professional training that prepares you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role.
• Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
• Potential future international travel opportunities
• A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
Preferred by Nature
Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission driven organisation that works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 350+ employees and a network of local experts, we develop practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries. We focus on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
How to apply:
If you feel you meet the requirements of the role, please submit your CV and cover letter (in English), including salary expectations by 20 March 2024 via the application form below.
Application pre-screening will be conducted during the application period.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.