Do you have a passion for forestry and the environment? Do you want to make an impact on sustainability by ensuring businesses meet the right standards and address environmental deficiencies? If so, then you might be the match for our role as Senior Sustainability Specialist with focus on responsible sourcing based in Viet Nam or Malaysia or Indonesia.
What can you expect:
As a Senior Sustainability Specialist, you will assess and verify the sustainability and legality of practices related the sustainable sourcing and biomass-related products of our clients. For this, your professionalism and focus on quality will be central in managing part our client portfolio. Upon joining Preferred by Nature, you will have the opportunity to learn and develop the skills needed to manage certifications for clients and learning how to audit sustainability standards within forestry, biomass and chain of custody all with our distinct Preferred by Nature quality.
Working with us is never routine so the first year you can expect the following areas to be central to your work.
• To help organization meet their sustainability goals you will structure ambiguous problems and take action to develop and implement bespoke sustainability requirements, including create and implement Sustainable Sourcing Programs that suit specific organizational needs.
• Work with a portfolio of commercial clients in the forest/timber and rubber sector to support them in their goals to meet sustainability commitments and legal requirements (such as the European Timber Regulation, European Deforestation Regulation, US Lacey Act or the Australian Illegal Logging Act). This include supporting them to establish and implement systems for responsible sourcing and associated activities, including but not limited to, the development of policy, due diligence system, tools, training delivery and verification audits.
• Provide Report Reviews and other quality reviews for reports or technical work conducted by staff within the team. Identifying improvements to services in coordination with the regional Senior Manager, for example capturing on developments made during the delivery of client work for future use.
• Conduct activities to raise the profile of Preferred by Nature’s brand in the region with the purpose of reaching the regional revenue growth targets. This will include but is not limited to; conducting sales meetings with clients, identifying service needs, creating budgets and proposals, creating and negotiating service agreements, and completing associated Salesforce sales procedures, reviewing proposals and budgets
• Establish trust-based relationships with clients to better serve their organizations and communicate effectively with all audiences, including senior leaders, in a structured manner.
Your first year with us
Within three months, you will:
• Receive training that gives you unique insight into sustainability trends, due diligence obligations such as the European Deforestation Regulation and the ability to gather and analyze information related to responsible sourcing.
• Be analyzing information as well as developing and communicating recommendations related to sustainability trends, due diligence obligations such as the European Deforestation Regulation and Responsible Sourcing and other relevant policies.
• Understand our different advisory services, how to communicate their value externally and how we combine them to serve some of the world’s biggest brands.
• Learning and understanding Preferred by Nature policies, procedures, quality management systems, and service handbooks. Learning how the project is managed (including the sale process, proposal writing, contracting, budgeting, handling assignment, report writing, etc. )
Within six months, you will:
• Manage smaller projects by tracking progress and communicating effectively with stakeholders internally and externally.
• Independently synthesize sourcing related information into clear takeaways and service proposals for clients.
• Collaborate with stakeholders such as regulatory agencies, industry associations, and NGOs to stay up-to-date on best practices and regulations.
• Participate in client meetings, communication with clients and negotiation. Support business development, identifying potential service areas
• Be proactive in writing proposals, report process, budgeting, etc. under the guidance of senior manager.
• Apply your client orientation and build your outreach skills by assisting in our marketing and sales process.
Within one year, you will:
• Have strengthened your project management skills so you are able to manage larger and more complex projects independently or with minimal support from senior manager.
• Build and maintain professional relationships with our clients by proactively engaging with them, understanding their needs, and providing exceptional services. Aim to become their trusted advisor for sustainability certifications, ensuring their satisfaction and loyalty to Preferred by Nature
• Continue developing expertise by working with new programs and departments within Preferred by Nature. Engage in ongoing learning and professional development to stay ahead in the field of sustainability certifications.
• Pursue relevant certifications or advanced training programs to enhance your expertise and broaden your knowledge base. Act as a role model for continuous learning and inspire others within the organization to invest in their professional growth.
Important that you:
• Have at least a bachelor’s degree in the field of forestry, biology, geography, agroforestry, sustainable resource management, environmental science, business sustainability or related field.
• Minimum 6 years of experience working in forestry and natural rubber, corporate social responsibility, responsible sourcing or ESG policy development or implementation at big retailers/brands or international organizations
• Knowledge of the main legislations and initiatives related to legality, deforestation and sustainable development
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Strong skill for writing technical reports.
• Strong computer knowledge (Microsoft word, excel, power point, and Salesforce).
Would also be great, but not necessary, if you:
• Experience in carbon projects, restoration projects, or biodiversity.
• Experience in working with wide range of stakeholders (private, NGOs government, etc.)
• Experience or interest in delivering training sessions and public speaking.
• Familiarity with relevant laws and regulations related to responsible sourcing, as well as experience conducting supplier audits and assessments.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
What Sets Us Apart:
• Global work culture
• High degree of flexibility - remote work, work from home.
• An in-depth onboarding and professional training that prepares you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role.
• Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
• Potential future international travel opportunities
• A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
• Private life/accident/medical insurance plan
• Start with 20 days of vacation leave per year and increase according to law.